For most of the study abroad aspirants, appearing and qualifying the IELTS exam is one of the greatest milestones. Many students are riddled with questions like – Is IELTS difficult to pass, and how one can get a good score in the above test? The fact that no can deny with is the level of difficulty depend on your preparation. No exam is hard to pass for applicants who have prepared seriously for the exam.
For those who are anxious to know about the IELTS exam and answer to the common question – is IELTS hard to pass? Here we have tried to share lessons from the past experience of teachers. Go through this post and learn how you can overcome the anxiety regarding the IELTS exam.
Let us begin with the content.
Is IELTS difficult to pass?
IELTS is one of the extremely sought and preferred English language proficiency exams conducted to assess the candidates’ abilities in all aspects of measuring language proficiency of the candidate. The candidates are evaluated based on their reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills. The exam is designed in such a way that a person from any background can take the test in the same condition. The type of questions included and the methodology used to correct the test and the length and format of every part of the exam are standardized.
In case you come without preparation, then yes IELTS is hard to crack for you. But by preparing for the IELTS exam, you can get a good score in the exam. The difficulty level of skill may vary from a person to person. Listening can be difficult for someone; many candidates find reading sections more difficult than others. Similarly, writing can be the hardest for a few candidates, while it might be easy for others. So, it is important to prepare for the exam seriously by laying more emphasis on your weaker areas that need more attention.
Knowing all the sections of the IELTS exam is important before starting with the exam preparation and for getting the answer to the concern – Is IELTS difficult to pass for an applicant.
- In the Reading section, the candidates get an hour time limit within which one needs to read around 2,750 words and answer 40 questions.
- It is important to practice English vocabulary else you might face problems.
- Reading magazines, newspapers, and books are some of the ways that help improve your English vocabulary.
- Most importantly, the test taker needs to master the art of skimming and scanning
- In the Writing section, candidates have to complete 2 tasks related to the writing.
- Candidates find it quite challenging to pen down answers for each task within the given time limit only. Candidates will get an hour, with each divided into 20 minutes for one task and 40 minutes for the other.
- Also, one has to write a minimum number of words for each task.
- Apart from meeting these, correct word usage, proper flow in text, grammar and handwriting make a lot of difference
- In the listening section, the test taker is supposed to listen carefully to what the speaker says. Many candidates find it one of the most difficult parts of the IELTS exam.
- Practicing for the IELTS is crucial to get the desired score. For this, you need to watch English movies or television shows and also go through the IELTS Listening preparatory tools.
- Get yourself ready to understand accents from across the globe
- The test takers might find the speaking section difficult as they might not be using the English language for day-to-day communication.
- Apart from this, here one just needs not to speak but answer the questions and speak on the topic.
- One has to focus on speaking about the topic and not deviate from the primary topic in order to get a good score.
- There is nothing wrong with appearing for the IELTS more than once.
- Accepting the issues is the first step towards improving them.
- When you know your weakness well in advance you can easily overcome them. So, looking at your weaknesses initially, and working on them will be the best solution.
- Whether it is speaking or grammar, make sure to look at the skills which you lack and work on them before taking the exam for the second or third time.
- Look at the rewards that you will get post getting the desired IELTS score.
Having a good IELTS score thus will securely prove rewarding in not just getting admission into your favourite university or college but also helps in your career as well.
How to Make IELTS Look Easier?
For all the candidates wondering if IELTS is difficult to clear, we have mentioned the factors that help improve the difficulty level of this exam.
Below are the key factors to consider:
- Various accents Fluency
Interestingly, IELTS is a standardized English language examination that is accepted globally. Hence, the audios in the IELTS exam are taken from native English-speaking countries in their native accents only. So, the exam takers must prepare based on all the accents to enjoy better fluency in this particular accent.
- Ease in Writing Letters and Everyday English
Candidates appearing for the general training test may also want to brush up on their letter-writing skills. Candidates must do more letter-writing practice including formal and informal ones. It is the practice and disciplined preparation that can help you score the desired Bands essential for academic studies or professional need.
- Awareness of Charts, Graphs, and Tables
A major section of the IELTS exam also requires visual literacy. Candidates must understand charts, tables, graphs, etc., easily. Along with knowing the factors that can make IELTS easier, the test takers must also follow a fixed pattern to manage the overall difficulty level of the exam.
Know About the IELTS Preparation Tips
- Make sure that you understand the pattern of IELTS. Without understanding the pattern and the syllabus, you will be shooting arrows in the darkness.
- You must refer to the latest and recommended IELTS books and other resources to boost your preparation. Due to the unavailability of such materials, many times the candidates get confused. Thus, it is advised to utilize the limited resources effectively to the maximum.
- Never miss any practice test. The importance of IELTS practice tests cannot be stressed enough. You must practice and review your mock tests for continued improvement.
- Follow the Official Cambridge Guide and website. Make this the base of your preparation. You must complete the official resources and content first
- Make sure to revise your notes at least 4-5 times.
Hope this complete guide helps you get an answer whether IELTS is hard to crack for an applicant with average language proficiency. IELTS consist of four sections including reading, listening, writing, and speaking that need to be completed within the given time duration. Managing the available time smartly is the most crucial aspect and is quite important in IELTS.
Since the level of difficulty is subjective and is dependent on your personal weaknesses, candidates must know their shortcomings and focus on ways to improve their scores. Furthermore, to get a good score in the IELTS score, take the help of professional IELTS trainers at Study Smart. Get complete assistance on getting a good score in the IELTS exam and pave your path to study abroad!