The IELTS or International English Language Testing System is a test for checking the capabilities of the non-English speakers. This test is taken by those students whose native language is not English and wants to study in a University where the instruction medium is only English. The result of IELTS is accepted by most of the academic organizations and professional institutions and Universities in Australia, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Europe, the United States, New Zealand, and Canada.
The candidates who will be going for immigration, work, or training program purposes also need to take IELTS General Exam. Many professional bodies, immigrant departments, and numerous employers consider this test as proof of English efficiency in more than 140 international countries. For IELTS preparation at home, you need to train for four modules. You will receive a score grading from 1 to 9 in a different part of the test. The overall score is the total average score of each four-part. Now let us take a detailed look into the four modules.
1.IELTS Listening Module
The listening test module of IELTS consists of four recordings that you need to complete within 30 minutes. The difficulty level of the record will increase gradually. It consists of a normal conversation between 2 people, a lecture, another conversation, and a monologue.
Tips for Preparation
- Scan the questions correctly before beginning the recordings
- If you find any difficulty in hearing out the questions, then always asks for help
- Ensure to write the dates correctly
- Practice the IELTS materials in both American and Britain pronunciations since the words and number have different accents in these two countries
2.IELTS Reading Module
Both the Academic Reading and General training reading is for 60 minutes duration each. The former section consists of 3 long passages with 40 analytical and descriptive questions. While General training reading also consists of 3 sections with 40 questions in tasks and text format that will depict the social and workplace circumstances. Thus prepare yourself for the IELTS practice test reading with the IELTS reading material in this module only.
IELTS preparation tips for Reading
- Try not to spend much time on the question you have not understood
- Answer those questions first which you know and then move onto the unknown ones
- Read the questions thoroughly and highlight the keywords before reading the entire text
3. IELTS Writing Module
Like Reading, the writing section also consists of academic and general training for 60 minutes each. Academic writing is divided into two tasks. One part describes a chart, table, or graph in a minimum of 150 words. And, another job consists of an essay of a minimum of 250 words. The general training writing is also subdivided into two tasks. First one all about letter writing asking about information or explanation of a minimum of 150 words. The second one is an essay of a minimum of 250 words.
Tips for Preparation
- Do not use spoken English
- Always try to have a neat, clean and tidy handwriting
- Always attempt task 2 first as it will add more score in this section
4. IELTS Speaking Module
In this section, you have to face a conversation with an examiner for 11 to 15 minutes. This can be a discussion, an interview, or a monologue.
Tips for Speaking
- Listen to the interviewer carefully before speaking
- Be relaxed and confident while answering
- Never answer the question if you are not sure about your answer
- You can also ask the interviewer to clarify or repeat the question
International English Language Testing System or IELTS will grade you based on your English Language knowledge concerning four aspects. The four elements are writing, speaking, listening, and reading. Hopefully, the above-mentioned tips have helped you to comprehend how to prepare for IELTS at home in this pandemic situation.
If you are looking to prepare for the IELTS Exam and not able to manage on your own, you can contact Study Smart, which is one of the Top IELTS Training institute in India, providing both, Online IELTS Coaching classes and Classroom based IELTS Training courses. They provide the best in its class IELTS Coaching in Delhi & Pune. They have trained over 12,000 students with a success rate of 96%.