Matching Paragraph Information Questions
In these kinds of questions, the students have to find specific information and place them where they fit to be. It is important to clearly understand the text and understand each and every paragraph.
Task: Match the information provided in the question with information available in one of the paras in the passage provided.
- 1 – identifying specific information
- 2 – scanning for information
- Paraphrase the information in the question
- Check the available information in the passage
- The answers are not asked in sequence.
- The answers are often a letter (A, D, C, D…) – read instructions carefully to check
- Remember that not all paragraphs may be used
Summary Completion Question
In IELTS reading, a summary part of the text will be provided to you and the students have to complete it by choosing words from the text with a given maximum number of words to complete it.
Task: The students need to complete summary by filling gaps with the help of correct words from the passage or words mentioned in the box
- Scanning for particular information in the passage
- Understanding ideas and supporting points
- Choosing the right words
- The students must identify the kind of words required for each gap.
- Locate the information provided in the passage to select the right word.
- If you have selected words from the passage, you need to check how many words can be used for each answer.
- Make sure that the summary is grammatically correct.
Flow Chart Completion Questions
Task: Completion of the given task using the right words from the passage.
- Locating particular facts given in the passage
- Choosing the right words
- Understanding all the facts and sequence of information
- Check the required word needed.
- Scan the passage for information
- Answers are not asked in order
- Take care of the direction of the arrows and boxes and follow the same to get the information.
- Choose the most suitable words from the passage
Diagram Completion Questions
Task: Label a diagram based on the information provided in the passage
- Locate the information in the passage
- Relate the information to the diagram
- Choose the right words
- Look at the kind of word needed for the answer (noun / verb etc)
- Check the information in the passage.
- The information is mostly located in a particular passage.
- Check the total number of words you can use to write the answer
Short Answer Questions
While doing short answer questions, the students must be extra careful. In these questions, the students are expected to answer the question from the given facts in the text. Moreover, it is important to check the number of words since there is a limit on maximum words.
Task: Answering questions related to the details in the passage.
- Presenting information in the passage
- Understanding the main details and particular information
- Identify the words’ kinds one requires for every answer.
- Paraphrase the vocabulary included in the questions
- Go through the passage completely to check the available information
- Check the number of words you can use for the answers
- Answers come in order
The Key Strategies for the IELTS Applicants for IELTS Reading3
- Timing is the key
- Since the students get just an hour to complete 40 questions, so they must use the available time wisely. Try to finish each section within 20 minutes, which includes 16-18 minutes to read and answer the questions and 3-4 minutes to transfer and check your answers. Focus on your time management skills. It is the practice and your determination to excel that can help you develop the required speed resulting in effective time management essential for IELTS.
- Go through the all the directions carefully
- Sometimes candidates’ marks get deducted in IELTS Reading as they don’t read the directions accurately. It is important to stay attentive while reading all the given instructions so that you don’t end up losing marks. The test takers must read as much, as often, and as quickly as they can. The more you read in the English language, the better it will be for you. The test takers must practice managing their reading time, pen down the important keywords and main ideas, and do more practice of scanning and skimming. Since there are no shortcuts and secret techniques to become a smarter reader, so it is all about practice and practice.
- Skimming here refers to quickly going through the entire text to get the main idea. To skim effectively, the students must read only a partial content. We all have encountered skimming while pursuing our studies, sometimes while reading a long chapter of a book, or sometimes while researching on a long article. In all such cases, we read the first few sentences of each paragraph, to get an overall idea of the same.
Close reading is important
Both Skimming & Scanning would be meaningless without Close Reading. There is no point doing skimming and scanning without Close Reading as none of them will provide the correct answer. They will just give you an idea about the content. Post completing Skimming & Scanning the text, it is important to read the set of questions given and then look for the answers.
Before deciding whether the answer is right or not, make sure you read the entire sentence or paragraph carefully. This is described as Close Reading means.
How to do effective Close Reading
- Try to understand the meaning of every word you read
- Take enough time to completely understand the gist of the text
- Think carefully before selecting the right answer.
Do not take stress
The style and difficulty level of the IELTS reading questions varies from each other. For instance, some questions might be easy while some will be extremely difficult. The test takers must not spend a large amount of time on a hard question, rather they must move to the next question. If the answer does not present itself, move your focus to the next one. You can always answer the difficult questions later. Taking unnecessary stress becomes the cause of negative outcome. It can make you lose your concentration and make you feel pressurized.
IELTS reading is a vocabulary test
In many ways, IELTS Reading is much more a vocabulary test as compared to the reading test. The reason is that you need a wide range of vocabulary to understand the passages of the text mentioned. Also, learn different synonyms and paraphrasing if you want to identify the information required to answer the questions correctly.
Don’t worry about understanding every word
In case you are not able to understand a particular word in the test, you must carefully examine the words and sentences surrounded to get the clues. Alternatively, move on to the next sentence. Focus on the words that are related to the question and don’t take stress in case you are not able to understand a few words. Time is very important and so you need to ensure no single minute is wasted.
Scanning just as the word implies, means looking for very specific information in the question. The information may be about a number, name or date, or something else. Take an example, when you need to check someone’ date of birth, just check the article quickly and search near the year. It will help you save your time and use the saved time to attempt other vital questions.
Thus, the Key Strategies discussed above for the IELTS Applicants for IELTS Reading can surely help you crack the IELTS Reading easily. Experts advise you to allocate your time equally to each module for the maximum score in the test. For the best guidance and coaching contact the counselors at Study Smart.